If you’re trying to start back up an old journaling habit, or are encouraging your child to start, you can try some of these tips to help as you get started:
- Journaling works best when it is part of a routine. Try writing every day. If possible, set aside a specific time to help make this healthy habit easy to build into your routine.
- Write what feels right. Your journal doesn't need to be perfect, and noone is going to judge it but yourself.
- Privacy is important. Your journal should be for your eyes only. Your child’s journal should be for their eyes only.
- Write quickly and freely. Avoid spending time with spelling and grammar, or other “shoulds.”
- There are no rules. Use your journal however you see fit!
Try it out, and as you start to see the positive benefits in your own life, feel free to write yourself a congratulatory note in your journal!
Social Work Intern