April is Alcohol Awareness Month. Alcohol is the most commonly used substance by teens, and it’s important to talk about this issue to destigmatize addiction and start a conversation. Whether you are a teen or a parent, alcohol is all around us, and misusing this substance is often seen as normal.
Signs that a teen is using alcohol include:
- Sudden changes at school like an unexplained dip in grades or sudden disciplinary issues
- Unexplained mood changes
- Unusual attention or memory problems
- Out of the norm fatigue
- Not keeping up with hygiene
- Withdrawal from friends and family
- Westlake Support Counseling: WHS offers free support counseling services during the school day. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com for more information!
- Al-anon/alateen: https://al-anon.org/
- Teen and family services: https://www.teenandfamilyservices.org/
- Sage recovery and wellness center: https://www.sagerecoveryaustin.com/
- Sober Austin: https://soberaustin.com/recovery/12-step-meetings-austin-tx/
- Dual Recovery Anonymous: http://www.draonline.org/meetings.html
- Crisis Call Center: Call 800-273-8255 or text ANSWER to 839863
Stay healthy, chaps!
-Katie and Annie